Monday, September 17, 2012

Eradicating mold from automobiles

English: Mildew growing on a plastic shower cu...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

A friend of mine recently offered to take me to work in their car after mine was taken away to be repaired, it was an offer I was glad to accept, that is until I actually got into the car itself. There was a horrible musty smell, it was a strong smell, but I knew I had smelt smoothing similar in my car too. To my horror my friend told me that there must be mold or mildew growing somewhere in his car and but he did not consider it worth treating as he was about to get himself a new car soon.
I knew that as soon as I got my car back I was going to have to do something before the situation got a lot worse and the smell became too unbearable.

There is health problems associated with mold and mildew so it is something that needs to be eradicated as soon as possible.

The first task in eradicating mold is to locate it, this may seem like an obvious step but mold and mildew likes to grow in places where they will not be disturbed, such as underneath seats or the carpeting on the floor, or indeed in all kinds of out of the way places.

Once you have discovered where the problem is you need to go to your local auto supply store and buy the correct cleaning solution. For mold on carpets and upholstery then any kind of carpet shampoo should do the trick, but do not over wet the area, just spray, leave for a few seconds and scrub away. Then once completed double check that there is no more mold hiding in other places, ideally this cleaning should be done on a nice warm sunny day this is because you need to make sure that the affected area is completely dry. If not then you are just going to have the same problems again very soon, so park the car somewhere in the sunshine and leave all the doors, the sunroof and the trunk open to allow the air to circulate.

Follow this advice and you should be able to enjoy driving your car in a mold free condition for the foreseeable future.





No comments:

Post a Comment