Monday, June 18, 2012

Attitudes Around The World


When I am on my travels, one of the things that really catches my interest is the various styles and fashions each different culture exhibits. One thing that has really stood out for me is the difference in the attitude to body modification from country to country!

Coming from South Africa, I have a fairly good grasp on the history of body modification from my research of local African tribes. It was (and actually still is) commonplace for rite of passage and certain rituals to include scarification or some other form of permanent marking and tribes across Africa, South East Asia and the Americas also have a long history of piercings, especially those enlarged with large discs. That is where the modern forms of body modification come from. However, it is so different depending on where you go.

In my personal opinion, the most extreme cases are in Japan where 'bagel heads' are the height of fashion! That's people who have a bagel shaped object implanted under the skin on the forehead surgically! In the UK tattoos are popular as are some forms of body piercing including tongue, eyebrow and belly button. Germany is also big on all types of body modification including tattooing, piercing, implanting and scarification! The USA too seem to have an affinity for making holes in their bodies! At the other end of the scale some places frown on the practice. In Argentina, men should not even sport earrings never mind any other body piercing!

It's just one of the reason's that I really enjoy travelling. It opens up a world of cultures and learning that I just could not get at home. Not just about tolerance , or lack of, regarding body modification, but also about many other issues like clothing, food, religion and politics. I find it so interesting learning about customs and traditions as we move from place to place. My girlfriend and I actually keep a travel journal, and we mark in it useful titbits to keep us out of trouble. For example, which countries it is safe for her to wear shorts rather than a skirt or whether or not a tip would offend. It's like our bible!

No comments:

Post a Comment