Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's All About The Journey


When it comes to travelling, people often wonder why I can't seem to keep my feet in one place! Sure, everyone goes on trips maybe once or twice a year, but me? I like to go much more often. I go on at least 2 major vacations every year – 2 weeks or more, but then I also like to take weekend breaks and road trips most weekends. I am lucky that my job allows me the freedom to do this. I can shove a laptop in my bag and head off late on a Thursday night, knowing I'll just catch a few hours work on the road and come home on Monday. That sort of freedom really suits me.


I'm what my father liked to call a free spirit. I don't like to be cooped up or tied down. I am always scanning the horizon for my next adventure! A large amount of my travel takes me to various parts of my beautiful home country of South Africa. That's how it began. Growing up in Johannesburg I was raised a city boy, but I saw in books and on television, all the wild parts of the country and I wanted to experience them too. I was desperate to go to the game parks, to the beaches and to all the various sights and experiences that South Africa has to offer. When I was in college, my buddies and I took our very first road trip and hit Durban for a long weekend. I had never left Jo-burg before that day! It was a revelation. The way of life in Durban is so much more relaxed and laid back than here in Johannesburg. I had never felt more alive than on that trip.

It's not that I don't love living in Johannesburg, but for me it's not just about seeing new places – it's also about the journey. I love the whole process of getting to my destination. I think that's what is really appealing about travel. That's what pulls me towards the next plane, the next train, the next auto-mobile! I love the excitement of setting off. The anticipation of wondering what my new destination will be like. I'm setting off to Poland this weekend to take in some of the Euro 2012 soccer tournament, I'll be sure to blog about my experiences there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment