Friday, June 22, 2012

The Day I Grew Up...


Have you ever had one of those moments in your life when it suddenly hits you like a bolt of lightning. A light bulb pops over your head and the penny drops. You suddenly drop whatever you are doing and shout...

'Oh My God! I have become my father!'

Fear not. It happens to us all, it's that one irrefutable sign that despite our very best efforts, we have in fact matured into responsible adults. I had one such moment today. Here I am, sitting in a Polish bar watching Portugal secure a place in the next round of Euro 2012, when I am struck by a moment of panic. I suddenly asked myself 'Did I shut off the water before I left home?' I started to fret so much that I actually rang my dad to go round and check that I had done it! I'm pretty sure there was a hint of pride in his voice when he agreed to do it for me!

Of course the incident earned me no end of ribbing from my buddies, but I brushed it off because it is actually an important thing to do if you will be away from home for an extended period of time. It is a great way to minimize the risk of any water damage while you are away enjoying your holiday. So laugh they might, but they will not be the ones laughing if they return to a basement flood now will they?

I learned my 5 step checklist from watching my dad as a kid and its become something of a holiday ritual, so I thought I'd share it with you all!

  1. Check the plumbing and water heater for signs of leaks or damage. This includes appliance hoses.
  2. Make sure gutters and drainpipes are clear of debris. Do the same for the sump pump.
  3. If it's winter insulate the pipes in case of freezing.
  4. Ask someone to check in every few days.
  5. If no one can check the house while you are gone, turn of the water main.

So there you have it! Johannes' Dad's top tips for avoiding waterdamage while on holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment