Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Town Called Mold


Remember a while back I blogged about a town called Asbestos? Well, it turns out I found another less than inviting destination to try.. Mold, which is a small town in Flintshire, North Wales. However, to give Mold its due – it isn't home to a potentially deadly mine passing itself off as a tourist destination! In fact, the only undesirable piece of Mold's history I could see at a glance was that it was the backdrop for the Mold Riot in the summer of 1869 following a bitter dispute in which coal miners were not only banned from speaking their native Welsh language, but also given a pay cut!

In fact, the little market town – which is just 10 miles west of the border with England looks like a nice little place for a visit. I mean I doubt I would travel to Wales just for Mold, but if I was touring that area of the UK it would be on my list! It provides traditional Welsh culture and a lively atmosphere, and has attractions ranging from prehistoric artefacts to historic churches. One of the main visitor attractions is St Mary's Church, a historical place of worship that sits proudly overseeing the town. The church was rebuilt in honour of Henry VII, the very first Tudor king of England and it features architecture from as far back as the 14th Century. Other local attractions include Iron Age hill forts and a number of stately homes and ancient monuments. The local museum proudly displays a replica of the world famous Bronze Age Mold Gold Cape – a priceless bronze age relic which was discovered in the local area and dates back to around 1900 BC.

Looking at this little town made me realise all of the hidden gems out there. I really think I want to start choosing a country first and then looking for tiny little towns with special moments in their own history. I think it would make for more rewarding trips than hitting the big cities!

No comments:

Post a Comment